Codfish Fritters Free from Gluten and Dairy
Codfish Fritter is a traditional recipe from the French Antilles (Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique). Prepared with cured cod fish (salted and dried), spices, and herbs.
Inspired by the traditional recipe, I created my own version to have a healthy recipe Rich in protein and Omega 3, and suitable for people that need to follow a diet free from eggs, gluten, or lactose.
Feel free to to add a spicy touch with chili flakes !
My kids really love these homemade Codfish fritters for several reasons: first of all, they don’t need to deal with the fishbones, secondly, the texture (crunchy outside and soft inside), and finally the presentation makes it fun and easy for them to eat.
What are the Main Ingredients for the Codfish Fritters?
Codfish, Onions, bell pepper, Egg, water, flour, salt, and black pepper, chili flakes (optional).
Check the video below with the step by step. Is really a simple recipe to cook at home, no fancy equipment required.
Remember healthy food can be easy, tasty and fun to eat at home or with your friends! Don you think?
In the final recipe, I included the cucumber vinaigrette that I serve with the fritters to complement the flavors, But if you are looking for an intense flavor go for a spicy sauce.
CodFish Fritters Free from Gluten and Dairy
- 350 gr Fresh Cod Fish shredded
- 80 gr bell pepper finely chopped
- 80 gr Onion finely chopped
- 200 gr gluten-free Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs or Egg Replacer for 2 two eggs
- 1 cup water room temperature
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber finely chopped
- ¼ cup Onion finely chopped
- ½ cup Philippine White Vinegar (Datu Putti)
- Salt pinch
- black pepper pinch
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg replacer or the whole eggs. add the water in small batches and check the consistency of the batter, if you need more or less water is ok. we look for a dense mixture. Not too liquid. (Watch the video, step by step).
- In a Preheated pan-fry with Oil, place an amount of the codfish batter and start to fry it until golden brown.
- After frying, place them in a kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil if necessary.
- Mix all the ingredients and serve with the codfish fritters as a dip.