Olive Oil Cake with fresh Rosemary and Orange
This is not a sponsored postJump to Recipe
The Olive oil cake with fresh Rosemary and Orange. A dessert full of Mediterranean flavors and only good ingredients for our health.
Just to remind you, the Extra virgin olive oil contains high amount of antioxidants, Vitamin E and is rich in vitamins A, D, K.
The olive oil, is commonly used for savory dishes, I imagine you already used it on salads as dressing, pasta, roast vegetables, for breakfast etc. Mostly salty dishes, right?
Today, we will use it in a different way. we will do OLIVE OIL CAKE.
Before to mention all the ingredients, I must said that I have a collection of healthy oils in my kitchen (Avocado oil, coconut oil, organic olive oil, sesame oil, almond oil..etc). However; for this specific recipe: I will use ROYAL ALEVOO , Extra virgin Olive Oil because it has a little sweet and soft flavor that I think will work amazing for a delicate and moist cake.
· Extra virgin Olive oil
· Organic oranges
· Fresh rosemary
· Dark brown sugar
· Spelt flour
· Almond powder
· Full fat milk (lactose free)
The classic recipe doesn’t include oranges and ask for vanilla and almond extract.
Instead I added Rosemary, for two reasons: first at all, living in a desert this herb is the only one available in my garden all the year, even during the hard summer and second I love the taste of it , either for savory or sweet food.
Feel free to experiment in your kitchen. Use the recipe only as inspiration or guideline.
This result is absolutely amazing ” a moist cake”. Not oily at all. My kids love it; because is a light dessert for the afternoon and not too sweet.
So this cake was 100% approved !! for my kids.
It can be stored at room temperature up to 3 days (wrap it with cling film or a kitchen towel).
To serve you can dust it with powder sugar. Decorate with extra orange zest and rosemary leaves. If desire.
Olive Oil Cake with Fresh Rosemary and Oranges
- oven , 9 inch spring form cake mold
- 100 gr Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 30 gr fresh orange juice
- 100 gr full fat milk (lactose free)
- 2 tbsp rosemary (finely chopped)
- Orange Zest (from 2 oranges)
- 3 eggs
- 130 gr Dark Brown sugar
- 80 gr Almond Powder
- 110 gr spelt flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven @ 180 deg C and prepare 9-inch springform cake pan with butter and dust with little flour.
- In a bowl mix all dry ingredients (spelt flour, almond powder, salt, baking, rosemary).
- In a stand mixer beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture become pale in color, add the orange zest.
- start to add the olive oil very slowly. Mix until the olive oil is fully incorporated.
- Mixing in low speed add in small batches the dry ingredients. With a rubber spatula remove any remaining flour on the sides or the bottom of the bowl and continue mixing at low speed.
- Add the milk very slowly mix at low speed, then add the orange juice and continue blending until incorporated.
- pour the mixture in the cake pan and bake for 45 min, Pre-heated oven settings: top-bottom fan (if available), 180 deg°C.
- To check if the cake is ready, insert a wooden pick in the center of the cake, It should come out clean.
- Let it cool in a cooling rack. Store at room temperature up to 3 days.